What is a portable barbecue?
With the technological advance we can find portable barbecues of almost all types, except clearly those of work. Some have their advantages and some have their disadvantages. Depending on how you like the food, and how much you feel like putting it together, you will decide on one model or another.
- Charcoal: Charcoal barbecues are the most common portable barbecues. They are very easy to assemble and dismantle, as well as being very practical when it comes to cooking. Perhaps its downside is that you have to make sure you have the necessary amount of coal and wait a long time for it to ignite.
- Firewood: The second option when it comes to a portable barbecue will always be the wood-burning one. There are some mixed models that also accept coal, and they are not much more expensive. Firewood has quite an advantage, as it is easy to get at a good price. And because there are so many types on the market, it allows you to try different flavor combinations.
- Gas: There are some models of small portable gas barbecues for those who don’t want to have to fight with wood or charcoal. However, they have a big drawback, and that is that they force you to travel with the butane cylinder to make it work.
- Electric: Perhaps the most practical of portable barbecues, as there are very small models, perfect for a small meal with family members. However, they require a power source to operate, which is also a major setback.
Do you prefer barbecue or grill?
You have to keep in mind that they are not the same. Barbecues have a grill, but the difference is that they have a lid, while grills do not.
Nowadays, barbecues have very small models, but grills are usually more functional. They do not require so much assembly work and cleaning is faster. But since it does not have a lid on it, you have to keep an eye on the meat so that it is well done on both sides. In this respect, the fact that the barbecues have a lid is a great advantage.
What are the advantages of portable barbecues?
- You can take it anywhere: wherever you go, you can take your barbecue with you. They are very easy to assemble, so it is not so heavy to have to dismantle after use. Some models are large, in which case it is best to only partially dismantle them.
- Wheels or fixed: Another great advantage is that these barbecue models give you the option of choosing whether you want a barbecue with wheels or fixed legs. The wheels are better because they help you move the barbecue around easily. However, they must be of good material and if the terrain is not flat, you may have some problems moving it around. In case of uneven terrain, a barbecue with fixed legs is best, preferably with the rubber tip.
- Outdoor cooking is healthier: One of the biggest problems with barbecueing is smoke. Depending on the type of heat source you are using, it can be more or less harmful to your health. On the other hand, when cooking in a very open space, with the air the smoke will not hit you directly, being much healthier.
- You can enjoy different types of spaces: Although it might be fun for neighbors to always go to your garden, isn’t it a bit monotonous to have the same meeting place all the time? Since portable barbecues are designed to take them wherever you want, you can have them in other houses, in the country or in the mountains.
- Perfect safety measures: In order to avoid possible fires, modern portable barbecues are designed with safety measures to prevent sparks or embers from escaping from the bottom of the barbecue. In addition, they are also prepared to be safe for the cook.
- Cheaper?In some cases a portable barbecue is much cheaper than a garden barbecue. Especially because these are usually smaller, so that the task of moving it around is more comfortable. An interesting investment, especially if you like to travel a lot.
- They don’t take up much space: Since once you’ve finished using and cleaning it you can dismantle it, you don’t have to worry about the space it takes up. Just put it in the box and keep it in the trunk of your car until the next time you use it.
- They can also be used in the kitchen: Some barbecue models are so small that they could be used in the kitchen without much trouble.
Better than garden barbecues?
Certainly, portable barbecues have many advantages, but are they better than garden barbecues? In essence they are the same, but with the advantage that they allow you to change location whenever you want.
They are usually very simple models, and because they are so small, you can’t cook for as many people as you can with garden models. Still, cooking in batches allows you to enjoy the experience more while talking to friends or family.
Plus, since most barbecue models are available in a portable design, it lets you experience which type you prefer for meat, fish or vegetables. And in case you already have a garden one, why not buy one for when you go on a trip? This way you can enjoy the experience more!